As the two disciplines sound very similar, environmental noise and workplace noise are often mixed up with each other but in reality they are very different specialities. Environmental noise includes:
- Nuisance noise measurements
- External noise for things like planning permission - runways, roads, turbines, etc.
- Event (usually big music festivals) noise planning
- Environmental impacts for noise
- Acoustic testing for things like noise transmission in buildings
- The very exciting sounding 'forensic acoustics'
- And more
As my speciality is noise at work I can't really help you, but rather than leaving you dangling, if you are looking for any information on this I would point you in the direction of someone like dBx Acoustics who seem pretty damn good on the kind of stuff.