Noise assessments (noise surveys)
So, you've decided you need to get a noise assessment or noise survey done and are looking for some lonely noise Herbert to get in to do it and in that case The Noise Chap is just who you are looking for. Our noise assessor has 20+ years of experience in health and safety, including ten years spent running his own consultancy in which the company undertook around 250 noise assessments every year, did over 25,000 workplace hearing tests and provided countless employee noise awareness training sessions. He has a health and safety background so can relate noise assessment to the more general health and safety requirements placed on the business, but is a noise specialist and only works in noise-related fields guaranteeing a high degree of competency.
The Noise Chap workplace noise assessments are:
- Done specifically to your site. The noise assessment report has a template for the introduction and some explanation of the terms and numbers involved, along with general layout, but that's it and anything else is down to how best fits your site. This is no 'tick box' noise assessment where three or more reports are churned out in a day - it is impossible to do the job properly at that rate. It's done properly, specifically for you and your site.
- The noise assessments are undertaken by a lovely chap who is certified in noise assessment by the Institute of Acoustics, as well as all the other general gubbins which goes with so long spent in health and safety such as NEBOSH Diploma, qualified hearing assessor, etc. Copies of the certificates are included in the assessment report.
- The noise assessment will be job, task, equipment or person-focused rather than just a map of the site with some numbers on. By default, the standard route and preference is for person- or job-focused noise assessment, but for a small number of sites a focus on measuring noise generated by equipment may be more appropriate, for example joinery workshops where what is done on one day is usually not representative of the work on any other day. These sites are very much the exception rather than the rule.
- All noise assessments include suggested actions for reducing noise exposures in your workplace where possible, as required by the Noise Regs, and this forms a fundamental part of the survey report. This will include any possible engineering or organisational control which may be helpful for controlling noise levels experienced by personnel.
- The noise assessments include octave band measurements, dB(A) and dB(C) results and plain-English explanation of what these mean for the jobs or tasks being looked at.
- The noise assessment report will include an assessment of the current hearing protection to confirm it's suitability for the noise risks present in the workplace, meaning you can use it to verify to insurers etc. that the hearing protection is appropriate for the risk. It will also include a report on alternative styles of hearing protection which are also suitable meaning you can shop around if you wish, armed with the knowledge that the ones you choose will also be suitable for your noise risks.
- If required following the noise assessment, advice can be provided on setting up a health surveillance (audiometry) programme and making arrangements for employee noise training. These can also be provided for you should you wish but there is no hard-sell on it as it is important that a noise assessment is not an excuse for pushing more services.
- The noise assessment report also advises you on how to do the future in-house reviews of the noise assessment yourself if you wish, giving you the choice of doing the reviews in-house or getting someone in to do it again, or going for a mix of the two.
- We are more than happy to help out with any follow-up questions clients have in the future and make no charge for any subsequent advice or help given following the noise assessment.
Cost of a noise assessment
We know the one thing people want to know is how much a noise assessment or noise survey costs, but we can't give a general 'it costs this' statement we're afraid as it is dependent on several site-specific factors. If you are interested in a noise assessment quote please just contact us and we will get a written quote back to you very quickly. We promise it will not make you weep in a dark corner of the office in shock at the price. Scout's honour.